Coleslaw and chips are a classic combination and when it is home made it literally tastes 1000 times better!
- Garlic Powder
- Green Pepper
- Mayonnaise (plain or spiced up)
- Salad dressing
- Honey or white sugar
- Peel and slice your potatoes into the usual chip shape or use a serrated potato cutter to give it a different look.
- Soak the potatoes in water with a little salt for about 15 to 20 minutes. This helps me not put too much raw salt on the fries.
- Heat oil in a pan or start up the deep fryer. To check if the oil is ready, throw in one chip and if it comes back floating to the top with the oil bubbling around it, it’s ready.
- Fry the potatoes till the chips are a bit hard and crisp on the outside and have a great golden colour.
- In a bowl, mix the paprika, garlic powder, salt and a pinch of chilli if you like and sprinkle this over the fries while hot and give them a light coating.
- Shred the cabbage into a bowl and wash with warm water thoroughly. This can be done multiple times and add a pinch of salt to give it a good wash since the cabbage will be eaten raw. While cutting up the rest of the ingredients, you can leave the cabbage to soak in hot water.
- Finely chop the onions, green pepper and carrots if you desire. Double the onions to give the coleslaw more flavour.
- Drain the water out of the cabbage and pour 2 spoons into the cabbage and mix.
- In your serving bowl, mix 2 parts mayonnaise, 1 part salad dressing(the creamy kind) or 1 part chilli mayonnaise and 1 tea spoon of honey or white sugar.
- Add the onions, pepper and carrots first to the creamy mixture and mix.
- Gradually add the cabbage and mix till everything is coated and evenly spread in the bowl.
- Chill for at least 3 hours because no body likes warm coleslaw!