Rice and chicken is a meal I’ve enjoyed since childhood. It can be prepared in so many different ways I can’t get enough of it. Here we’ll be cooking up a version of Vegetable-Chicken-Rice.
- Green pepper
- Curry powder
- Ground Cinnamon (Cassia), Black Pepper, Cardamom, Turmeric, Bay Leaves, Fennel Seed, Cloves, ( Pilau Masala can give you all these in one go)
- Sauté the onions and garlic till they’re a dark brown color
- Add the salt, spices, water
*For one cup of rice, measure two cups of water
- Add the rice and bring to boil
- Turn the heat all the way down to the lowest heat possible and cook for 10-15minutes without uncovering the pan
- Fluff up the rice and turn-off the heat once it is ready.
* Don’t stir the rice throughout the cooking, it will make it stodgy.
The Chicken and vegetables:
- Marinate the chicken in salt, bay leaves, curry, rosemary and one spoon of olive oil for 15-20 minutes
- Bring to boil the aubergine, cauliflower, onions, carrots, green pepper with a little salt and water
- Brown the chicken in a pan, coking it 8-10 minutes per side.
- Add what is left of the marinade, a little tomato paste and the chicken to the vegetables
- Boil at moderately low heat till it is ready.
Plate your V-C-R and enjoy!
Photos; Andrew Pacutho